Become a DEC ‘PAL Learning Champion’
All courses in Drumcondra Education Centre (DEC) are now Promoting Accreditation of Learning (PAL) accredited.
All participants can become a DEC ‘PAL Learning Champion’ by fulfilling the criteria:
1. Attend 5 x 2 hour courses
2. Present to staff or at our Presentation to Audience workshop in April
3. Fill in the application and reflection on learning forms
4. Drumcondra Education Centre will award certificates in May each year
What is PAL?
PAL is a professional development system designed to help recognise and reward the informal and nonformal1 learning of professionals working in education.
Its key objective is to promote and strengthen peer to peer learning and sharing amongst teachers and management in schools, colleges and Education centres2. Building awareness of this form of professional development makes its value explicit.
Professional Development itself has been defined as
“Any process or activity that provides added value to the capability of the Professional through the increase in knowledge, skills and personal qualities for appropriate execution of professional and technical duties, often termed competence".
The PAL system provides:
- a Framework document that explains how the PAL professional development systems works and how PAL points are earned and rewarded
- a Toolkit describing different methodologies that can be used to support peer learning and sharing
- a Tracking Tool to help teachers record their peer learning and sharing
- a Self-evaluation / Reflection Tool to help teachers reflect on what they have learnt, what learning can be transferred/ applied and what the next steps might be
- a PAL Learning Champion status to recognise when a teacher has completed the PAL professional development system